TAZEWELL HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY
John Richmond is THS principal. Bus transportation is made free in 1940. The Latin Club is formed at THS. Students receive extra points in Latin class for joining the club. The first known cheerleading squad is formed in 1944-1945. It consists of seven girls and one boy. In November of 1944, the Bulldog newspaper sponsors a contest to design an official seal for Tazewell High School. One of the top-ranking members of the senior class, Mary Jane Floyd, submits the winning design. When the school's first yearbook is published in the spring of 1945, the new school seal appears on its title page. The seal remains unchanged since its creation and appears in almost every publication of Tazewell High, as well as on the letterhead of official school correspondence. A painting of the seal hangs prominently in the front foyer. During each year's spring awards assembly, the final event is the transferring of the school seal from officers of the graduating class to officers of the junior class. The presentation is effectively dramatized by the use of hand-held objects which replicate the items found in the seal. The symbolism of the seal is multi-faceted with each element having a significance. Central to it is The Peak, representing power, strength, and beauty which rise above the commonplace. Four stars represent a student's four years at THS as well as the four elements of student life: scholarship, athletics, citizenship, and activities. A candle standing for the light of wisdom stands upon a book which signifies learning and knowledge. Surrounding the seal is a laurel wreath, an ancient symbol of honor. Within the seal is the motto: "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills," taken from Psalm 121, and drawing attention once again to the beauty and inspiration of Tazewell's mountain surroundings. The school seal is unique to Tazewell High School, and is maintained and honored through the years with its symbolism appropriate to guide THS and its students into a meaningful tomorrow. The year 1945 was significant in the establishing of several Tazewell High School traditions. A group of five students produces the first yearbook. The editor of the Peak is Ann Barnett and it is dedicated to all THS alumni serving their country, including Lt. John Richmond and Ensign Conley Snidow who are pictured. The new principal is James L. Walthall. The class officer elections are held in spring. The football team is led by Coach Wilkenson. School organizations include the Journalism Club and the "A Blessed Companion is a Book" Club. The class of 1945 consists of 73 seniors.
THS Seal adopted in 1945.
The Peak is dedicated to Miss Sallie Mahood. The boys' basketball team goes 13-5 while the girls' basketball team wins the Tazewell County Championship. The Book Club, the Woman Haters Club, and the Safety Patrol are all active groups. The editor of the Peak is Louise Leslie. SCA president is Bob Bottimore. A total of 63 seniors graduates from THS in 1946.
The Peak in the mid-1940s.
The principal is Mr. J. L. Walthall. The Savings Club, Tazewell Rhythm Maker's Club, Glee Club, Library Club, Veteran's Club, Key and Monogram Club, and the Teenage Book Club are established. Class wills first appear in the yearbook. The Bulldog football team goes 8-2. The Peak is dedicated to Miss Annella Greever, Miss Nancy Ward, Miss Ann Harman, Miss Sammy Scott, and Miss Rachel Royall. The editor of the Peak is John Yost. SCA president is Graham Newton Buchanan. The editor of the school newspaper, the Bulldog, is Tiff Kiser.
Tazewell Rhythm Makers organize a young childrens band. The senior class elects Claude Frazier Stevenson as president. The football team goes 8-2 and loses to Covington in the half-state championship game 19-6. Boy's basketball has an outstanding record of 17-2 and wins both county and district titles. The Girl's Basketball team finishes 3-8. The class of 1948 sees 94 graduates complete their studies at Tazewell High School.
Girl's basketball team turns previous year record around with a winning season in 1948. The Peak is edited by "Puck" Kiser and dedicated to Grant O. McGhee, THS principal. Two new football coaches join THS, Castro Ramsey, head coach, and Lorah Ward, assistant. The football team completes a 6-4 record for their inaugural year. THS continues the "stagger system" due to overcrowding in the high school building. Professor Larry Zingale joins the faculty and reorganizes the THS Band. Donald Scott is the SCA president of THS. THS commencement sees 122 seniors graduate in the spring of 1949.
In 1949-50, the yearbook is dedicated to Mrs. G. O. McGhee, Mr. Castro Ramsey, and Mr. James LaVanche. The football team wins the District 7 championship. Team members Charles Billips and George Conley are elected to the all Tazewell County Football team. Conley goes on to make the all-area team. Castro Ramsey is named "the Coach of the Year." The Junior-Senior Prom carries out the theme, "Gypsy Tea Room." The Junior Play, "Spring Fever," is presented in March. The class of 1950 is made up of 119 students.
Back to THS History Home Page