TAZEWELL HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY
Entering a new decade the class of 1880 grows to five members. The 1880 Exhibition includes these graduates: Mrs. C. A. Thompson, Mrs. Ora Dodd McCormick, Mrs. Ada Gillespie Stone, Miss Nettie Witten, and Mr. Ed Witten. During the late 1880s, THS moves to the old Northwestern Bank of Virginia building at the east end of Main Street. This old bank building had been erected in the early 1850s and housed the first bank ever opened in the Clinch Valley. This bank had ceased operations as a bank during the Civil War. The building has most recently been used as a private school operated by Professor Evans. Through the efforts of Reverend William Kelly, the property is now owned and occupied by the public schools in Tazewell County for the use of Tazewell High School. By 1887 the school year expands to a 10 month term with a faculty of four teachers.
Back to THS History Home Page